Calling all BlinkNow friends! Every year, the Kopila Valley School closes for a few weeks around the Dashain/Tihar holidays. While some of our students use that time to visit family in other villages, many of them stay in town. Our camp is designed to provide fun, educational activities to keep them busy for the month, just like summer camp! This year's Dashain Camp will be held October 22nd to November 4th, 2018.
Our 2018 application is now open! We're looking for motivated, creative, and kid-loving Nepali and foreign volunteers to come to Kopila Valley this October/November. Do you like working with kids? Do you know how to cook, paint, dance, or play football, and want to teach kids about it too? Volunteer with us!
We usually offer fun courses like the following ones. Courses are often designed for younger students, for older students, or occasionally for both:
- Event Planning
- Gardening & agriculture
- Jewelry making
- Leadership Skills
- Outdoor skills (hiking, camping)
- Sports (football, cricket, badminton, etc.)
- We are also looking for a dedicated Dashain Camp photographer and social media volunteer to work with our staff during camp!
The daily schedule is usually something like this:
8:30 - 9:30Students arrive and check in
9:30 - 10:00Assembly with morning song or game
10:00 - 12:00Morning classes
12:00 - 1:00Lunch
1:00 - 3:00Afternoon activities and games
During class periods, volunteers responsible for planning and teaching a class on their own or in teams of two. All volunteers also help with afternoon activities and games, with plenty of other opportunities to take on additional responsibilities, such as running the morning assembly.
- Classes may have some of the same students from week to week, so the lessons/activities should vary.
- We usually ask each volunteer to submit lesson plans for each course they intend to teach. Usually, we require one lesson plan for the younger students and one designed for the older students, depending on the class.
- Ideally, at the end of camp, each class will produce a tangible result such as: a dance performance, a short skit, a story, kites, an original board game, etc.
- If you need supplies for your class, we ask that you have your family & friends help fundraise for them before you arrive! (We're limited by what's available in our town.)
Our hope is that every Dashain Camp volunteer creates a wide range of engaging activities for the students.
Please note: The roles outlined above are volunteer positions. After completing the application process, anyone selected to serve in this position who lives outside of Nepal will be expected to cover all travel costs and any other expenses that may arise. As with any international travel, this can be expensive. In addition to flight(s) here, all tourists are required to purchase travel health insurance, cover visa fees, pay for meals, etc. More details on expected costs can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
We ask each volunteer to submit lesson plans. The lesson plan we ask you to complete will be similar to this example below.